How To Prevent Bringing Home Bed Bugs After Your Vacation
Tis the season! With the holidays right around the corner, a lot of people are traveling to see family, attend gatherings or parties, or just head to a new place to wind down in the cooler months. However, those vacations can make you unknowingly bring back a harmful souvenir. Bed bugs can be found in almost every part of the country, and can be super dangerous to your home. Because of this, it’s important to learn how to prevent bringing home bed bugs after your vacation.
Bed bugs are pests that can be found in places where people often congregate, such as hotels. Travelers can unknowingly bring these pests home from their travels and begin a cycle of infestation. Many travelers don’t realize they are bringing bed bugs back until they return home – which is why it’s important to follow these few steps to learn how to prevent bringing home bed bugs after your vacation.
Stay Bed Bug Free On Vacation:
- Take a few minutes to thoroughly inspect your room before unpacking and settling in. Look behind the headboard, around the base of other furniture and inside any dresser drawers. Bed bugs may be found in any part of a room so don’t assume you are safe just because your luggage is in one place; look everywhere.
- Check all hotel bed sheets, pillowcases, and mattress seams, particularly the corners, for telltale spots or stains. These usually include small spots or white dots (which could be eggs!)
- Hotel guests who have concerns about bed bugs should contact the front desk immediately, who will assess the situation. Management will move guests and usually treat their belongings if necessary.
- Invest in a large protective cover or trash bag to secure your luggage in throughout your stay. It seems silly, but it could prevent bed bugs from climbing into your belongings for a stowaway trip home.
- Bed bugs can hitch a ride on your clothing, luggage and other personal belongings (such as purses). Inspect and vacuum your suitcases thoroughly, as well as steam them, before bringing them into the house. Steamers are especially effective at killing any bed bugs hiding in your luggage.
- Remember to wash all your clothes when you return home – yes, even those extra outfits you didn’t wear! The hot water will kill any pests you may have accidentally brought home with you.
Make Sure Your Home Stays Pest-Free!
Looking for more pest control advice for the winter months? Best Home & Property Services are here to help you ensure your new home is pest free. Think you may have a pest problem? Give us a call at 843-236-3065 or get a FREE QUOTEright online!