Help Keep Ants Away From Your Home
In the summer, most people want to be outdoors as much as possible. However, that indoor air conditioning can feel like heaven after a while out in the sun. Just like humans, pests can also seek shelter indoors to escape the heat, as well as seek food and water. The closest shelter may just happen to be your home. You, like so many others, may have a battle with ants in your home. We understand how difficult it can be to rid yourself of these unwanted guests, but with the right steps and products, it’s possible to have an ant-free home. Here are some methods to help keep ants away from your home.
Keep Ants Away From Your Home
When dealing with any pests, especially ants, try taking a few precautions in your home. Some of these would include:
- Put away dirty dishes. It’s best to wash dirty dishes immediately, then dry them quickly and put them away. If you use a dishwasher, make sure to close the door to ensure ants aren’t following your dishes in.
- Clean with a vinegar solution: Vinegar can help repel ants naturally. Mopping your floors and counters with half water/half vinegar concoction can help keep them away.
- Clean up the crumbs. A clean kitchen is a happy kitchen, especially when it comes to ants. Keep the ants away by cleaning up any spills, crumbs, or sticky residue as soon as they happen.
- Store food safely. Store all food that you want to keep in your cabinets or on the counter in air-tight containers. Put fruits and vegetables in your refrigerator, too, if there’s room.
- Pet food. Put any leftover pet food away at night, including water.
- Standing water. Mane sure to fix any leaky faucets that can cause standing water to accumulate in your kitchen.
- Keep garbage in order. Ants love to attack rotting food. That’s why it’s so important to take the trash out at least once a day, and use a trashcan that has an air-tight lid.
Keep Ants Away – DIY Edition
Ants are small and can get into your space easily. There are a thousand different ways they can get inside if you don’t use professional treatments to keep them out. Here are a few DIY ideas to try before calling a professional.
- Sealing cracks. Find any cracks or crevices around the home that might be harboring ants and caulk them. Another option is to inject vinegar into these hiding places to repel naturally.
- Natural plant and spice repellents. If you know where ants are getting in, you can line these entryways with things that ants hate. Salt, baby powder, lemon juice, chalk, vinegar, bay leaves, cinnamon or peppermint oil are a few items that you have around your home that will stop ants from coming inside.
- Use your morning coffee. Old coffee grounds can confuse ants and their scent trails. This will make them less likely to smell anything in your home that can attract them. Spread your fresh grounds in the morning where you usually notice ants, such as window sills or door cracks.
Need More Help Keep Ants Away From Your Home?
Getting rid of ants is no small feat. It requires you to be vigilant and prepare yourself for a long battle. But sometimes, even with all your best efforts, ants may just continue appearing. The most effective way to get rid of them once and for all is with help from a seasoned professional. That’s why Best Home & Property Services are here to help you ensure your new home is pest free. Think you may have a pest problem? Give us a call at 843-236-3065 or get a FREE QUOTE right online